Copy of Energizing Breakfast Recipes To Kickstart Your Day
Healthy Hearty Omelet
- Two large eggs
- Egg whites from two large eggs
- Turkey ham, 1 ½ ounces
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley, one tablespoon
- Salt, ¼ teaspoon
- Canola oil, two teaspoons
- Diced onion, ¼ cup
- Frozen diced potatoes, ½ cup
- Unsalted butter, one teaspoon
- Low-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese, one ounce
- (Optional) Fat-free sour cream, two tablespoons
- Whisk eggs, egg whites, turkey ham, salt, and parsley in a mixing bowl.
- Heat one teaspoon of the oil in an 8-inch nonstick skillet or omelet pan over medium heat. Add the onions, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes while they cook. Add the remaining oil, followed by the potatoes. Cover and cook, stirring every few minutes, for 5 to 6 minutes until the potatoes turn golden brown. Transfer the onions and potatoes to a plate.
- Heat butter in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the egg mixture, which should cook immediately at the edges. Tilt the pan to allow the uncooked egg to run along the hot skillet. Cook thoroughly until the omelet's surface turns solid.
- Spread the onion mixture across the omelet center, then use two tablespoons of the cheese as a topping. Cover the filling by folding the egg in half, then transferring it to a plate. Garnish the top with the remaining cheese. Serve with sour cream and a mixed green salad if preferred.
Three-Berry Spinach Smoothie
- Orange juice, one cup
- Frozen blueberries, one cup
- Frozen strawberries, ½ cup
- Frozen raspberries, ½ cup
- Loosely packed spinach, 1 ½ cups
- Honey or agave syrup
- Ice (Optional)
Yield: 2-3 servings
- In a blender, add the fruit, spinach, and juice. On a medium-high speed, blend until the spinach is thoroughly combined and no green specks are visible.
- If a sweeter smoothie is preferred, add up to 2 tablespoons of honey or agave syrup.
- For an icier drink, add additional ice cubes.
Black Bean Avocado Toast
- Quartered cherry tomatoes, 270g
- One finely chopped red or white onion
- ½ juiced lime
- Olive oil, four tablespoons
- Two crushed garlic cloves
- Ground cumin, one teaspoon
- Chipotle paste, two teaspoons, or chili flakes, one teaspoon
- Black beans, drained, two 400g cans
- Small bunch of chopped cilantro
- Four bread slices
- One finely sliced avocado
Preparation/Cook Time: Prep 20 minutes, Cook 10 minutes
- Combine ¼ of the onion, tomatoes, lime juice, and one tablespoon of olive oil, then set aside. In two tablespoons of olive oil, fry the leftover onion until it begins to tenderize. Add the garlic, sautéing for one minute, then incorporate the cumin and chipotle, stirring until fragrant. Add in the beans with a touch of water, gently stirring and cooking until thoroughly heated. Stir in the majority of the tomato mixture and cook for one minute. Finally, generously season and add most of the cilantro.
- Toast the bread, then drizzle with the last tablespoon of olive oil. On each plate, add a slice, and garnish the top with some beans. Continue to top with a few avocado slices, the remaining tomato mixture, and cilantro leaves to serve.