Easy Homemade Recipes To Bring Someone After Surgery
Chicken Noodle Soup
- Olive oil, butter, or chicken fat, two tablespoons
- One large onion, chopped
- Two large carrots, chopped
- (Optional) Two celery stalks, chopped
- Minced garlic, heaping tablespoon, approximately four cloves
- Two bay leaves
- Fresh thyme, three sprigs or dried thyme, ½ teaspoon
- 4 or 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, one pound
- Chicken broth or homemade stock, 8 cups, low sodium
- Egg noodles or pasta of preference, five ounces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Finely chopped fresh parsley, ¼ cup
- Additional broth/stock or water as needed
Preparation/Cook Time: Prep 5 minutes/Cook 35 minutes/Total 40 minutes
- Over medium heat in a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter, then combine with the onions, celery, and carrots. Stirring periodically, cook for 5-6 minutes until the vegetables tenderize.
- Incorporate the thyme, bay leaves, and garlic. Cook for roughly one minute, constantly stirring the garlic in the pan.
- Combine the chicken broth into the pan, then bring the heat down to a low simmer. Give the soup a taste test, then add salt and pepper to your preference. For low-sodium chicken broth, at least one teaspoon of salt may be necessary.
- Add chicken thighs to the pot to cover the soup broth completely. Continue cooking and cover the pot with the lid, leaving it partially open. Occasionally stir until the chicken thighs are well done, around 20 minutes.
- If the broth levels are low now, you may add a splash of broth or water. Bring the heat to medium-low.
- Onto a plate, transfer the cooked chicken. Combine the noodles into the soup and stir, cooking for 6 to 10 minutes until softened.
- During the noodle-cooking, shred the chicken into strips or dice it into cubes. Before tasting the sup, place the chicken back into the pot and adjust with additional salt and pepper. Mix in the parsley and serve.
Ham and Cheese Quiche
- One ready-to-bake pie crust, frozen
- One half medium yellow onion, diced
- Minced garlic, one teaspoon
- Four eggs, large
- Half and half, one cup
- Italian seasoning, ½ teaspoon
- Fresh ground pepper and fine sea salt
- Diced/cubed cooked ham, one and ½ cups
- Freshly grated Swiss cheese, one cup
- Freshly grated Cheddar cheese, one cup
- Chopped and cooked bacon, chopped chives (Optional garnishes)
Preparation/Cook Time: Prep 15 minutes/Cook 40 minutes/Total 55 minutes
- After preheating the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, place the frozen pie crust, unwrapped, onto a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Allow cooling for just a bit after removing.
- Over medium-high heat, melt the butter in a nonstick skillet. Combine the diced onion with the butter, and for 3-5 minutes, cook until tenderized and translucent. For roughly 30 seconds, stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant. After removing the pan, set it aside to cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs to gently beaten. Then whisk in the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, and half and half.
- Add the cubed ham and both cheeses with a gentle stir, then incorporate the cooked garlic and onion.
- Pour in the filling with the pre-baked pie crust on the baking sheet. For 35 to 42 minutes, bake on the bottom oven rack until set with a slight jiggle in the center.
- Serve warm with garnishes of preference.