What is Physical, Mental, and Spiritual Health?
Holistic health is an umbrella term for various aspects of health that are addressed at the same time. Amongst physical, mental, and spiritual practices, social, emotional, and spiritual components are also navigated in various methods. A broad following of practitioners embrace holistic healing as part of their lifestyle, and it has many aspects stemming from religions, disciplines, and cultures to nurture on an individual, collective, and environmental scale.
- Physical Health
Our physical health is commonly the first thought when health comes to mind. After all, our bodies tend to have to quickest onset of symptoms when something goes wrong. In addition, the apparent appearance of physical symptoms allows us to classify the potential cause quickly and to what degree we are experiencing them.
Ensuring physical health is at optimal performance and adapting to healthy habits can make a significant impact on how well we physically function:
- Ensure enough downtime to recharge and rejuvenate your body; aim for a night's rest of 8 hours.
- Aim for a 'clean-eating' diet that is rich in essential nutrients. Focus on a plant-derived diet and meat/animal organic and locally sourced products.
- Eat a well-balanced diet to ensure blood sugar levels remain regulated. Aim for a meal or snack approximately every 3-4 hours, which provides recommended amounts of fat, protein, and carbohydrates.
- Dedicate a half hour every day to physical activity. Specific forms of exercise and individual schedules may vary.
- Avoid foods and ingredients which can cause inflammatory flares and promote chronic diseases, such as heavily processed foods and hydrogenated oils.
- Cut smoking and alcohol consumption out of your life.
- Mental Health
Fostering mental well-being can be accomplished by self-awareness of how you handle uncontrollable stressors and manage stress levels.
- Practice mindfulness through yoga and meditation. This will benefit your body and mind in becoming more grounded, promote inner and outer awareness, and improve your range of motion. Aches and pains, lack of energy, depression, anxiety, and stress can also benefit from yoga and meditation.
- By turning a colorful imagination into visual creativity, individuals can encourage self-expression and benefit from increased confidence, a calmer state of mind, improved self-awareness, and a better grasp of problem-solving and conflict resolution.
- Spiritual Health
Spiritual, holistic care is one of the most individualized and personal practices. It taps into the more profound meaning and purpose of one's life and helps foster a sense of inner and external harmony.
- Travel to a new destination and explore it freely. This helps us tap into our innate curiosity and distract us from personal stressors that may leave us stuck in a rut.
- Seek optimism in your life and embrace it. Our thought processes profoundly impact how we see the outside world and ourselves. Optimistic people embrace change, have a better grasp on self-improvement, and function easier with a calm state of mind.
- Express yourself verbally or through writing. Self-expression will help you organize your thoughts more clearly, and provide an outlet that encourages you not to repress your feelings.